Mornings can be so stressful.
You’re juggling sandwiches for school lunches, checking emails and taking the dog around the block, all while rushing to get out of the door on time.
A frantic start to your day can make preparing a healthy breakfast seem like an impossible task. It gets even more complicated if you have food restrictions or if you’re on a special diet. But skipping breakfast or reaching for that sugary Pop-Tart will make you feel tired and depleted before you even get to your desk.
Breakfast is, of course, the most important meal of the day.
To fuel a healthy, active lifestyle, I recommend a nutrient-dense meal that includes protein and greens as key components. You can always add starch, fruit and other veggies.
My Simple Green Smoothie is a staple in my house. As a breakfast, or snack for long days in the kitchen, it keeps me full and energized until my next meal. Here are some of the highlights:
- Berries contain antioxidants that support brain health.
- Nut butter and protein powder promote balanced blood sugar and keep you satiated. Protein repairs tissue and builds strong bones and muscles.
- Spinach, kale and other dark, leafy greens are packed with vitamins and minerals.
- Greens also reduce inflammation, detoxify your body and…I could go on all day!
You may be nodding in agreement. Sure, these ingredients are super, but how long will breakfast take to prepare? This two-step smoothie can be whipped up in less than 5 minutes, or measure out the ingredients the night before, keep them in separate containers and blend it up in 1 minute. You can totally do this!
Simple Green Smoothie
½ cup blueberries
1 Tbsp. vegan protein powder (I use VEGA plant-based protein powder)
1 tsp. nut butter of choice (preferably sunflower seed butter or almond butter)
1 cup kale or spinach leaves
½ cup water
- Place all ingredients in a blender.
- Blend and add more water to reach your desired consistency. For a chilled smoothie, add ice.
Easy breezy, right?
Or let us do the work instead!
If this still seems like a daunting task, let us make breakfast—and all of your meals—for you. Learn more about our personal chef services here.
If you’re already a client, ask us about adding healthy breakfast options to your order. Contact us here.