Grilled steak Florentine with spicy arugula
Snap pea salad with sherry vinaigrette
Asparagus with chicken in lemon and garlic…
Is your mouth watering yet?
Spring and summer offer promises of farm fresh produce, and the seasons always deliver here in Pennsylvania. We’re lucky we have an abundance of small, local farms in our area so we get first pick of the best fruit and veggies available.
Thanks to the rising popularity of Pennsylvania CSAs (community supported agriculture), you don’t have to develop a green thumb to get locally-grown food.
A CSA allows you to pay in advance of the growing season for shares of the harvest.
The farm you select raises funds to purchase seeds and grow sustainable produce. In return, you and your family get a portion of fruits and vegetables all season long.
How it works:
- Find a Pennsylvania CSA and select a produce box or plan that’s right for your family. We love Charlestown Farm CSA and Jack’s (pay-as-you-go) CSA for more flexibility.
- Pick up your bounty at a pre-determined location each week. If you’re close by, you can go directly to the farm. Otherwise, pickup locations may be at a nearby community center or school. If you’re lucky, the farm will deliver your door!
What you get each week may vary. Sometimes you’ll receive backyard favorites, like tomatoes, cucumbers and basil. Other times, you might get unique offerings, like garlic scapes, daikon radish, Hakurei turnips and lamb’s quarters. The variety is all part of the fun.
So what else do you need to make farm-to-table meals at home?
Recipes, of course!
Get our FREE mini cookbook, featuring 6 spring and summer recipes the whole family will love.
The secret? No one will know they’re healthy!
Here’s what’s on the menu:
- Chicken with Asparagus, Lemon and Garlic
- Shrimp and Artichokes in White Wine Cream Sauce
- Grilled Chipotle Pork Tenderloin with Spicy Strawberry Salsa
- Steak Florentine with Arugula Salad
- Snap Pea and Asparagus Salad
- Fish Stew with Fresh Herbs